Friday, June 25, 2010

What I have been up to!

I have been canning the last couple days! Thanks to my mom whose garden has gone crazy with mass production. I tell ya we have been so blessed! We weren't able to do  a garden this year due to the fact that hubby has had so much side work to do for the last 3 1/2 months he didn't get time to till our garden. The only thing we have out there is strawberries from when we planted them last year.
So, my mom has been giving me squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. Let me tell ya her squash and zucchini plants come up higher than my waist! Her tomato plants are up to my chest! They really only planted I believe 4 of each plant. The other day my mom brought me a 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers and zucchini the size of a baseball bat. Zucchini like that it only takes one to feed my family.
So, I have come up with creative ways to eat zucchini. Let's see we have had so far zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, steamed zucchini, and I got a recipe to try zucchini pie. Of course you can use squash in every recipe you use zucchini as they are from the same family. We also have had all the above with squash.

Well, anyways I had to start doing something with all these cucumbers I have and I am still not done. So, I tried my hand for the first time at making homeade pickle relish and sweet pickles.


I usually make bread and butter pickles and I have to check but I might have to make some more of those as I think the kids ate all of them up except one jar. The only think that I worry about most is my jars not sealing. If it don't seal you have to do it all over again which is what I had to do when I did the pickle relish. But if you don't catch it that day then you have to put it in the fridge or throw it out. Which can be very aggravating.

I just wanted to share what I had been up to! I still have a whole crisper full of cucumbers to do something with.

2 comments :

  1. Awesome. I love to can. It is so great to put up jars and then eat off of them all winter. I am anxious for veggies in my garden to be harvest so I can start. Also, I have a great recipe for choc. chip zuchinni cake. I am planning on making it next week for my hubby's b-day as it is his favorite. So I'll let you know when I blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I just posted about my garden. We haven't seen any produce yet, but we are seeing a lot of growth! Can't wait to harvest, can and freeze the veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and leave a comment!